STA has a vibrant cooperative education program. Cooperative Education is a ministry-approved program that allows students to earn secondary school credits while completing a work placement. The program consists of a co-op course monitored by a cooperative education teacher, a related curriculum course in any subject and a work placement. Students are placed in a variety of workplaces such as retail, institutional, trades and service industries. The program can also incorporate apprenticeship whereby students can be registered through the Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program (OYAP). Most co-op placements are 2 credits (half-day) in length, however there are some opportunities for full day co-op placements. Click here to read some testimonials from former STA students.
Students have the opportunity to:
- Experience hands-on learning
- "Test-drive" career options
- See the relevance of their classroom learning
- Develop the essential skills and habits required in the workplace
- Gain valuable work experience to help build a resumé for postsecondary programs and future employment
STA Apprentices recognized.
If you are interested in applying to the cooperative education program at STA you will need the
See your guidance counsellor for more information about co-op education and apprenticeships.